May 13, 2006

through the looking glass


A cup of coffee. A good friend. The view of the city parades on the other side of the glass pane. I got lucky when the monorail drove into this shot.

I've been in rehearsal for play that deals with the issues of identity, politics, sex, national pride, individuality, etc., of Malaysia and Singapore and the rightful place of its peoples. We're examining the pros and cons of each country. Many Malaysians would agree that our neighbour, Singapore, because of its efficiency and well-thought out plans, is a wonderful country. Ours being the unorganized nation.

But if you look from the other side of the fishbowl, Singaporeans are a stiffled, restricted nation. Rules and regulations MUST be and are followed. They look at our country and envy us for the laidback culture that we have as a people. We have the iconic Twin Towers to represent us globally. They have a government created Merlion, half-lion, half-fish. Trivial argument.

KL does do my head in sometimes. The central government is consumed by ignorance/arrogance. A Third-World mentality thriving in a country aiming for a place in the First-World structure. So, when I need an escape, I drive down to Singapore. I love it there. I get to stock up on CDs and enjoy the public conveniences. However, the restrictions only remind me of how good my country is. It refreshes my jaded perspective and I return home ready to take on another day. Having said that, I'll be in Singapore next week. And I do love the times I'm there. Good friends.

I encourage a jaunt over to Singapore DP and have a look at the Merlion and pictures from one of the most advanced self-developed countries of our World. For a country without any of it's own natural resources and having brought itself such remarkable global standing, Singapore is truly a unique country. Chewing Gum, however, is a banned substance. Go figure.

I don't what it is about this picture but somehow the combination of colours brings a smile to my face and reminds me why I call this place home.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisi said...

Hey Edwin, I think the monorail train in KL is pretty cool, esp. they have very colorful design for the trains. Oh, btw, I do think KL is a colorful city...and you know what just two years ago I was working with a HK theatre company too :-)...nice shot and I think that area looks familiar.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Jazzmamma said...

eh, singapore's cool with chewing gums oredi mah! i've gone in on a number of occasions with my stash and not once have they stopped me. i've even gone to the immigration counters while chewing gum also!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Edwin Sumun said...

thanks for that jazzmamma! but you forget that I'm a minor offence criminal for bringing in 2 packets of cigarettes. The authorities have my name in their computer. Oh dear!

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home