January 15, 2007

do you know where you're going to?


It's Visit Malaysia Year and visitors are aplenty. And taxis are scarce. Public transportation is getting better but still has a way to go before it can be considered good. Back to the taxis. They fall into 2 camps, the ones that fleece you and the ones that have to live with the shame. A hotel concierge told me a story of a Taiwanese lady who was forced to pay a taxi RM400 for a 15 minute ride. Suffice it to say she was extremely distraught. Then there are the stories of Middle-Eastern visitors who haggle over the fare and try to get away with a near-free ride. Shocking. The honest taxi drivers can usually tell a story or two when you ask. When our foreign friends come to visit, we always tell them to insist on turning on the meter and being nice to the drivers. That way, the drivers have no excuse of cheating you for being a nasty passenger. I hate to see this happening. I live in a wonderful city and it's sad when visitors leave with a sour taste in their mouths.

11 Comments:

Blogger Pod said...

well hopefully you'll leave my city (yes it;s mine!) with a cakey taste in your mouth ;0p

3:37 PM  
Blogger Olivier said...

c'est amusant, dans toutes les villes les taxis ont mauvaises reputations, alors que souvent ils font de guides.

it is amusing, in all the cities the taxis have bad reputations, whereas often they make guides.

4:46 PM  
Blogger ~tanty~ said...

I totally agree with you Edwin.
Have a nice day :)

5:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

generally quite ok. taken the taxi in KL a few times, usually ok.

sometimes they ask where u wanna go and say, tak pergi.. sigh...

5:53 PM  
Blogger Dsole said...

Well, I think that happens in most of the cities... people try to survive with the tourist unknowlegde, you know? In Madrid when you arrive at the airport, there's free guides for tourist warning about that kind of things... there are evil people everywhere, but there too many good people as well! :)

6:13 PM  
Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

When you are in NYC, do exactly what Edwin said. Always use a YELLOW taxi or call a car service (town car). Never use a gypsy cab (illegal taxi) unless you know how to deal with them.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I like the post, but I'm going to be very angry at you if that SONG sticks in my head - i can already hear - is it Dihann Carroll or Diana Ross - " do you know where you're going to...do ya like the things that life is showing you..." ICK! But I love you anyway!

8:17 AM  
Blogger edwin s said...

Oh Jenny :)

Cabbies I tell you. However, I must commend the taxis and drivers in Singapore. I've never had anything but excellent experiences.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ed, reminds me. The other day (so long ago already), after you left, the cab I took, the guy was really chatty. He was telling me how he is going home and meeting his son who was coming back from Perth. I was his last customer.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Gerald (SK14) said...

I remember the taxis in Singapore were very cheap and there tipping is not allowed so the price you are given is the price you pay - no argument. I recall one taxi-driver actually apologising that he had to go all round the one-way system adding extra distance!

3:59 PM  
Blogger edwin s said...

And like K'pok said, they tell such great stories.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home