April 15, 2007

it's reigning men


Galeri Petronas is currently running a photography exhibition, Photojournalism and the Imaging of Modern Malaysia 1957-2007, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Malaysia's independence. My friends (whose silhouette you see here) and me went to have a look-see. Iconic pictures we've seen throughout our lives as well as the more obscure ones. We walked into this small room to read this blown up newspaper. The headline questions the crowning of the first King. Which one of our Sultans will have that honour? Unlike the monarchy in the rest of the world, our King rotates between the Sultans every 5 years.

Photography in the exhibition is not allowed, so I snuck out this shot. Then I noticed 2 other people taking pictures. I asked the person at the reception desk. Flash not allowed. And I went along my merry way, enjoying the years as they passed by.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jing said...

wonderful wonderful silhouette!!
its nice to visit the exhibition.and its excited if shooting is allowed....

last night when i watched some paintings from Italy, so wonderful. but didnt allow camera. Pity pity pity!!

love this photo indeed.

nice Sunday

jing
shanghai daily photo

12:43 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Love the tone and the mood. Nice. Very cosmopolitan. (I miss real cities.)

1:20 PM  
Blogger lishun said...

how long will the exhibition be on? thanks for the photograph postcard!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Looks terrific! Don't you love it when you get pleasantly surprised like that - ie "no flash"!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Dijah said...

I like the silhouette!Tried to take a picture of something like that,and it worked!Its amazing what you can do with a camera these days.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Rafleesia said...

Pls add this photo to the list of pics you are blowing up for me!

9:36 AM  
Blogger edwin s said...

oops. the exhibition runs til May 20th.

rafflesia, where is this list, eh?

11:09 AM  
Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

I love this photo. The lighted background created a beautiful silhouette for the guys standing there. Brilliantly done!

12:58 AM  
Blogger Rafleesia said...

In my mind ;)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ah... so you were reading about the sultans, thats why you know about johor sultan's aligators? :-)

the display at venue, had photos of the Sultan and his aligators too.

eh, visit gallery carry so many bags? pergi shopping atau pose pose aje kat galeri?

3:55 PM  
Blogger edwin s said...

Terima kasih Ming :)

Yes rafleesia, always innit?

K'pok, I read about the Johor Sultan and his scaley pets a couple of months ago. Nothing in the exhibition but I think there should've been. Sure funny one. As for my frens with their bags, they went shopping for presents waiting for me to turn up. Fellow artis you know. One is a real good photographer and the other, with the bags, you saw in Second Link with me.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home