June 5, 2008

slam the breaks!


At midnight, petrol and diesel prices went up by 40%. This was due to the government's measures to combat climbing fuel prices worldwide and as part of a move to restructure the country's subsidy package. The Prime Minister said the fuel prices would be reviewed every month in line with world oil prices. This revamp would save RM13.7bil, a large part of which will be given back to the people through rebates and other subsidies.

Despite these reassurances, hoards of drivers caused traffic at all petrol stations last night. The petrol price increased from RM1.92 to RM2.70 per litre. A .78sen hike. That's a lot. Thus the insanity at the stations. I wanted to join them and fill my tank but realized this wouldn't change matters. I would eventually have to fill my car when the tank was empty and pay the new rates.

So, I got on my bicycle, camera in my backpack and made my way to the nearest station. Luckily I did that. The traffic began a mile away. Snapped this shot and watched as the petrol drained away. By midnight, the station tanks were empty.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey hey!

Didn't know about your blog. I love the shots. That's why I bumped into you with your camera that day outside Pavilion? :D

And you know Jerome too! :D

Niki

6:46 PM  
Blogger marley said...

Our petrol prices here in the UK are sky high already! Your photo reminds me of the time several years ago that there were Fuel Protests here. People queude like mad things, draininge the pumps. This went on for a couple of weeks!

5:27 AM  
Blogger USelaine said...

It reminds me of the lines for gas in 1973 here in California. I'll bet this comes back around to us again soon. The prices are much higher than we've ever had them, of course, like everyone else.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home