August 26, 2006

backstage: another actor prepares...


What a day it has been! The electricity in my area was out the whole day and only just came back on 10 minutes ago. Usually I would be screaming with annoyance over the inability of the Electric Company of sorting it out quickly. Today, however, I took this time to begin reading a book I just bought. I was also under house-arrest. My electric gate couldn't open and the key to open it manually refused to fit in the keyhole. Who cares really? 5 gas boiled water cups of coffee and 3 chapters into Susan Sontag's On Photography has left me quite a contented man.

Now that I have current running through the lines, I'm able to post today's picture. The companion shot to Anne's picture. This is Karen, our Singaporean counterpart. One helluva an actor I tell you. When I first met her last year, I was blown away by her sheer centeredness in tackling characters. At first glance, carrying her multi-coloured PVC handbag and Havaianas slippers, you could hardly tell that this was an actor in full control of her talent (yes, Karen. I am in awe of you. Couldn't tell, could you?)

I managed to capture this shot without looking through the viewfinder. It was about 5 minutes before she had to get on stage. I just held it at my chest and clicked. Oh, the Singaporeans arrive tomorrow to continue our journey on the KL stage. Karen has already expressed that we're all going to pig-out on local food the moment they arrive. Can't wait!

14 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Edwin, the mood comes through very well, even without your narrative. Her right hand and feet are so detailed. Nice!

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Edwin! A great shot! I guess this is her time of "getting into the character"?

9:46 PM  
Blogger Ame said...

Hey Eddie! Turn Karen on her side (CCW) and that could have been you during your power outtage...in the fetal position, cursing all things electrical, right? LOL! ;-)

Another cantik shot! Makes me just want to sit like that and contemplate my head!

You must be rich...electric gate? Woohoo! LOL!

(=

9:50 PM  
Blogger Matthieu said...

Suspense : I can't wait too, as I am quite shure you won't resist clicking again, wherever your camera can be.

Nb: your electric doors seem to be a fatal technology.

10:09 PM  
Blogger wmw said...

Oooo....getting into character. A glimpse of an actor's mind.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Jazzy said...

Love your theatre posts.
I'm glad you had some quality time with your book =)

4:38 AM  
Blogger kaa said...

your last 2 photos are all in 'action' i.e. telling something and not posed. great! glad you eventually managed to post. pig-outs on local food.. miss those.. any chance of seeing the 'feast' table here in the future?

5:29 AM  
Blogger Carlos Lorenzo said...

Fantastic post Edwin. It has all you could expect. An amusing introduction (at least for us). The depiction of the character, in this case your fellow actress along with some secret confessions which tell a lot about your kindhearted nature. And a big finale, the banquet (the arrival of the Singaporeans). All garnished with an amazing snapshot of the sacred moment of concentration before going on stage.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like shots without looking through the lens, it creates an image that you may not have thought of yourself. I have captured some great shots of buildings this way. This shot of yours certainly sums up the actor well. Congrats.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Xico Rocha said...

Hi, I across only to say hello.
From Brasil
Rocha

8:02 AM  
Blogger Bunyamin Najmi said...

Edwin, your photo is always amaze me...

9:09 AM  
Blogger Marie McC said...

Edwin, this is superb!

9:32 AM  
Blogger edwin s said...

Not rich Ame, just very comfortable and some things are cheap in this part of the world. It only cost me USD500 for the gate as well as installing the auto-gate system. No need to break any camels backs!

Kaa, I hope to be able to take some makan stuff. I'll be sure to post it ;)

You know John, you're right. Some surprising results sometimes.

Amazement Najmi? Beribu-ribu terima kasih.

Thanks for poppin in guys :)

6:47 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

This is a wonderful picture! A belated welcome back - I wish I could see your play - it sounds wonderful!

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home