August 27, 2006

virtually monitored


It's Sunday and I thought I'd post something fun. Can you spot the Edwin?

I think it's fantastic that I've recently struck up some new friendships with people I've only ever seen via DP photos and a tiny little profile picture. You know I 'see' more of you guys than I do my 'real' friends? It's funny how the world works. As a race, we're conquering a lot of space, even going upwards to accommodate the population growth. Colonials of a different era, driven by cheap, accessible technology. We've taken over virtual space too. Dot Com bust? Today tells a story of how dependent we have become to the word 'Enter.'

DP has given us this entrance into each other's worlds and for that, I thank everyone for giving me over 100 scenic escapes. But having said that, I'd like to say goodbye to Akita DP. Midnitebara has decided to move on. We can still visit her, just not on a daily basis. Go over and say hi.

The pressures of posting daily gets to the best of us. Here's a quote I found that expresses how I sometimes feel about it.

"Photography is 90% sheer, brutal drudgery. The other 10% is inspiration."
-Brett Weston, brother of Edward (1911-1993)


90% eh? I'm hanging on to the 10% as if my life depended on it!

15 Comments:

Blogger Ame said...

UGH Edwin...looks like you need to do the spam-blockin' word verification thingy...gotta admit, I had to LOL at "Boobtoons!" ;-)

And I feel the same way you do...about the online "friends" that is...I think the photography drudgery is still only at about 50%, LOL! (=

I found ya! Right there behind the lens...in the screen...with the HAT!

Selamat Tidur!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Boobtoons is less verbal than the rest of us. Of course, you are behind the lens! Have a good week!

1:43 PM  
Blogger wmw said...

You're the one in the turquoise shirt in the background! Ha ha ha....That was easy! :p

3:10 PM  
Blogger ~tanty~ said...

Of course I can spot you. Have a nice Sunday!

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya! Hey how much is the ringgit now vs. usd?

6:57 PM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Ed, this post has been an enormous reassurance,really soothing and one less thing to worry about. For about a month, my sleep has been impaired agonising over what to get my ageing (and way-too-careful) brother-in-law for his 119th birthday next month. Trust you to deliver! He won't have had anything like a hot cartoon chick since we made his 50th b'day (only in 1982)with a delightful, pineapple-tasting, fully -life size inflateable sex slave. What a party THAT was!

11:03 PM  
Blogger kaa said...

i thought another singapore shot from funan centre till i saw the RM. i never think to take such shots.. nice.

1:44 AM  
Blogger Icarus said...

I'm back, thinking about Brett Weston. E.G. if it was 90% sheer,brutal drudgery, why did he bother? If he could only manage 10% inspiration, then maybe he chose the wrong career...What was his speciality, weddings?

5:45 AM  
Blogger midnitebara said...

thank you so much for the link and kind words Edwin. You're so sweet.

doumo arigatou!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its easy to spot edwin LOL. tall and bald like his profile says LOL...

12:30 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

So Edwin is the name of the camera? Ha ha. But seriously, how many people do you speak to in person every day, and how many blogs do you check and write comments on a daily basis? I've been thinking about this as we approach our one month anniversary on DP.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Jazzy said...

Fun shot =)

5:44 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I completely agree with you about the community of DP bloggers - it's changed my life! And re: NWM's comments above, LOL!@!! at the first one, and re the second- doesn't everything worth doing have a drudgery aspect of it, and isn't that the hard lesson we all have to learn when we grow up? If not, then I'm in the wrong line of work!!!

12:18 AM  
Blogger edwin s said...

You're right Jenny! Wading through the mud and coming out completely unscathed makes the experience all the more rewarding!

Stewart, your BIL has aged tremendously in the past 20 years!

Kaa, Funan is much cleaner. This was taken in our 'Funan' called Low Yat Plaza. It's a mess but so many things that empty my wallet everytime I go.

Anne, the exchange rate is USD1 - RM3.70 (roughly).

Thanks for popping by today folks ;)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Interesting comments regarding space. I drove a 200 mile loop from Delta yesterday and only went through 4 small towns. The rest was desert canyons with sandstone walls and Aspen covered plateaus. Some areas seem completely over crowed, and others way too empty. Seeing all the perspectives from the various DP sites is very interesting.

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home