July 1, 2007

DP Theme Day: The Colour Red


At the beginning of June, my friend Myra, produced an experimental piece of theatre and asked if I would mind taking some pictures. Myra, herself a great photographer, couldn't do it herself and I said yes. Why would I mind? My friends were the performers. It was called 'Dua Tiga Dalang Berlari.' It explored the art and history of shadow puppetry (Wayang Kulit) through the medium of stencil art and movement based theatre. Very interesting. Disposable raincoats were also used to represent shadow puppets.

I had 5 'red' pictures to share. It was tough choosing the one to feature. This happens every theme day, doesn't it? How many did you have fellow DPers (not you Nathalie)?

Today's shot I dedicate to Meg. I know how you love my theatre stuff. I'll be posting more of them on Flickr soon.

There are 98 of us this time around. Travel the world and see how 'red' we can be. See you August 1st!
Shanghai, China - Mumbai, India - New York City (NY), USA - Manila, Philippines - Albuquerque (NM), USA - Hamburg, Germany - Stayton (OR), USA - Los Angeles (CA), USA - Hyde, UK - Oslo, Norway - Brookville (OH), USA - Melbourne, Australia - Stavanger, Norway - Bellefonte (PA), USA - Bucaramanga (Santander), Colombia - Joplin (MO), USA - Singapore, Singapore - Selma (AL), USA - Cleveland (OH), USA - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Chandler (AZ), USA - Stockholm, Sweden - Seattle (WA), USA - Boston (MA), USA - Arradon, France - Evry, France - Baton Rouge (LA), USA - Maple Ridge (BC), Canada - Boston (MA), USA - Grenoble, France - Cottage Grove (MN), USA - Greenville (SC), USA - Hilo (HI), USA - Nelson, New Zealand - La Antigua, Guatemala - Brisbane (QLD), Australia - Singapore, Singapore - Tel Aviv, Israel - Hong Kong, China - Sequim (WA), USA - Paderborn, Germany - Saarbrücken, Germany - Rotterdam, Netherlands - Tenerife, Spain - Kyoto, Japan - Tokyo, Japan - Sydney, Australia - Naples (FL), USA - Cologne (NRW), Germany - Wassenaar (ZH), Netherlands - Saint Louis (MO), USA - Cypress (TX), USA - Ocean Township (NJ), USA - Mainz, Germany - Toruń, Poland - Menton, France - Monte Carlo, Monaco - Singapore, Singapore - North Bay (ON), Canada - Jakarta, Indonesia - Montréal (QC), Canada - Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina - Minneapolis (MN), USA - Baziège, France - San Diego (CA), USA - Prague, Czech Republic - Ampang (Selangor), Malaysia - New York (NY), USA - Kajang (Selangor), Malaysia - Sharon (CT), USA - Newcastle (NSW), Australia - Port Angeles (WA), USA - Nottingham, UK - Villigen, Switzerland - Chicago (IL), USA - Torquay, UK - Brussels, Belgium - San Diego (CA), USA - Mexico (DF), Mexico - Saint Paul (MN), USA - Cape Town, South Africa - Paris, France - Seoul, Korea - Manila, Philippines - Milano, Italy - Chennai (Tamil Nadu), India - Austin (TX), USA - Chennai, India - Madrid, Spain - Seoul, South Korea - Wailea (HI), USA - Toronto (ON), Canada - Ajaccio, France - Buenos Aires, Argentina - Silver Spring (MD), USA - Zurich, Switzerland - Sydney, Australia - Budapest, Hungary

33 Comments:

Blogger Ben Nakagawa said...

Very nice photo. Good use of diagonal framing and DOF.
I normally dislike this type of framing but this one? It's effective!

I'm sure Meg will love this as much as I do, Eddie.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

E-It's about time you posted again! I've missed you, of course. Come visit on occasion. Love the shirt in the photo. It brightens up the shot--great portrait!

4:16 AM  
Blogger MumbaiiteAnu said...

Very nice photo.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Gerald (SK14) said...

5 eh - well you can post the others at a later date - nowt wasted -- I just had one but it got rejected at the last minute so took three or four possibilities today and will post one in just over an hour or so as it approaches midnight here.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Hey, thank you for this one, Eddie. I do so love your theater shots, and portraits. Very interesting theater, too. I hope the production goes/went well for Myra and her group.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Edwin, I miss your posts and am glad to at least have theme day to see them. Hey, I cheated and used Mosaic Maker in Flickr Toys to make one image out of many. I had 45 images and chose 13 of them. Way too hard. . . Hope you are well!
-Kim

5:28 AM  
Blogger Jazzy said...

hia Edwin, i was hoping you would put a theatre photo for the red day and voilà here we are.
that's a lovely shot. you guys are very interesting, i admire your creativity and love the energy.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, good to see you post again.

I have the same problem. Red Fire Hydrant, Red big pillows from Ikea, Red Packets (Ang Pow), Red Face person (blushing), Red this and that, in the end, just choose watermelon lah... haha...

Was that Wayang Kulit without the kulit and used real people?

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shadows caught my attention even quicker than the red. Please tell Myra thank you for sharing this and for the art she creates. Art is always a contribution to society.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Emilieee said...

Long waited post! Nice shot of Myra. I had another interesting photo of red. But too bad I accidentally deleted it!

Happy Theme Day, Edwin! :)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Lavenderlady said...

Nice to see you back!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Mandi said...

Interesting photo. BTW sorry for the loss of your friend on June 4th - I just saw it now.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Jilly said...

Love this photo and the explanation of the theatre piece.

Yes, I had too many choices for Menton DP. I sympathise with the difficulty in choosing. Monte Carlo was easy tho.

3:22 PM  
Blogger kuanyin333 said...

I like the diagonal...great photo!

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice shot Edwin. I like what you have done.

Abraham Lincoln
—Me as Moses—

5:28 PM  
Blogger JaamZIN said...

its a very good portrait! great job!

7:52 PM  
Blogger Dijah said...

I wish I could go and see wayang kulit.I only remember watching it when I was little on TV3 but at that time I didn't know what it was.
:]

8:23 PM  
Blogger alice said...

Great portrait. Have a nice day, Ed.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Olivier said...

un beau portrait, bonne idee pour le theme du mois

a beautiful portrait, good idea for the topic of the month

10:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

She doesn't look very happy. Was it a sad play?

3:39 AM  
Blogger Fabrizio Zanelli said...

I'm still missing your daily post and Happy to see your photo each months (better rare than never) :-)

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see your shot again. Time was long... Thanks.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice choice for today's theme!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I'm glad to see your post and I love this photo! I hope things are going well for you?!

11:26 AM  
Blogger ~tanty~ said...

She reminds me of someone I know in Jakarta. Nice shot Ed!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

Glad to see you back, even if it's once a month. :-)

Hope all is well.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Nathalie H.D. said...

Edwin sorry for my late visit, but I'm delighted to find you as creative as ever!
What a beautiful shot with great use of abstract lines!
Hope you are well - obviously alive and kicking!!!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Joel Reynolds said...

Cool shots lately, Edwin. I haven't been here for a while - I've been missing some good stuff!
Joel

10:03 AM  
Blogger Kala said...

98 DPers! wow - this list keeps getting larger and larger - btw, welcome back, I did not know you started posting again - great to see you have returned and you always do have wonderful people shots with interesting angles =)

3:26 PM  
Blogger AntiguaDailyPhoto.Com said...

Edwin, this is a very good portrait. Boy you keep surprising me with your photography. Indeed, you are very versatile.

11:30 AM  
Blogger travelphilippines said...

wow i love your blog. i soooo love malaysia....i wanna go there.

2:53 AM  
Blogger Lisi said...

hi leobrota, just checking in, how are u? doing a show? enjoying summer? take care buddy

10:49 PM  
Blogger travelphilippines said...

hi there i nominated you for best travel blog at bloggers choice award.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home