September 21, 2006

well-connected


Today's picture is for Keropokman and for all of us who build and burn bridges. This is the bridge that links both towers at the famed KLCC. I've always wanted to go up but I seem to go on Mondays when it's closed to the public. I remind myself to return another day. I forget and I always return on a Monday. One day.

Lately, the papers have been filled with the fiasco that is the new bridge that connects Malaysia and Singapore. Construction stopped suddenly and the finger-pointing about who's to blame began. High-profile only because it involves our beloved ex-Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir and the current government. The Singaporean government lays no claim to anything. I feel it adds further strain on the reputation on our present government and our relationship with our neighbour.

We are told to foster relationships for the sake of a better future. Travel, they say. Yes, passport application fees and flight tickets have increased tremendously. Tomorrow begins the MATTA Travel Fair. Twice a year, we clamour for discounted rates. With a wedding in Sydney in January, I'll be there getting my tickets. RM1500 for a seat not inclusive of the RM810 in taxes.

Yes, I can go foster my relationships but, naturally, it comes at a price. One day...

12 Comments:

Blogger Denton said...

Such a strange sight. The blue sky below the bridge. Naturally, I understand the bridge is very high given it links the towers. However, my mind does not expect this perspective.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a strong image, Ed! haiya, not building costs about the price of a bridge..can u explain the math?

RM2300 to Sydney, not really cheap man. I paid RM2100 nett to London

3:32 PM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Salut Ed, & can you quote that in US$ or € please?
Onward & upward you go, higher & higher! Isn't the Walls & Bridges metaphor perfect? All human interaction and transaction - micro & macro - encapsulated therein. But this one between the KLCC towers {does CC = cricket club?] looks a definite Sagi-Tiger-free zone...well this one couldn't undertake it, at least.

4:59 PM  
Blogger twistedzero said...

Great shot. I hope I can visit KL in the near future.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ed,
Thanks for the picture. I can only imagine now being inside the bridge. One of these days, I shall re-visit KL. Waiting for the Express Singapore KL train that takes 90 mins to realise. Maybe I can only dream on.

I have this thing for bridge climbs. There are 3 in the world. I have done the Sydney Bridge, the Brisbane Bridge, I hope to do the Auckland Bridge soon. Aiya, KLCC bridge, gua belum cuba lagi, and it's the easiest and free!

Denton,
Answering it on behalf of Edwin, the bridge is a bridge that joins the tallest twin towers in the world. [Yes, it might not be the tallest building anymore, Taipei beat KL to it, but it is still the tallest TWIN towers :-) ]

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome photos, Edwin. Louis Kahn leaps to mind. Just a quick thanks for your welcome. I am grappling with a fabulous new camera but because of time constraints, it will be a while before I am up to speed. I aspire to your heights.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Lisi said...

Hi Leo bro, how are you doing? I too, couldn't figure out the photo until I read your caption and I went, ahhhhh, oic ;-)

tickets to Australia are always more pricey due to the lack of competition, but RM3,000+ is really a rip off.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful composition here Edwin, really lovely. A terrific grand shot.

12:27 PM  
Blogger edwin s said...

Denton, it took me awhile to see it from this angle too. I was actually looking at the towers.

Kris, you know!!!

Stewart...Cricket Club!!! LOL! It's about USD630 for a ticket.

Thank you Raymond.

You're most welcomed K'Pok and thanks for the explanation ;)

Wow! Thanks Suzanne! Please do come by again!

Lisi, it's bloody expensive!

Thanks John. Grand? What a compliment!

Santy, I will be fasting as many days as I can. I have a gastric problem with kills me when nothiing goes into my stomach :(

3:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Watch out, the Tripods are coming!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Juggerpix said...

I dont know if you go back and check comments, but ... WOW!

2:23 AM  
Blogger edwin s said...

LOL! Good one Gail!

Thanks Jugs! I do come back for more ;)

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home