August 1, 2007

DP Theme Day: Typical Breakfast


Welcome August! This is a great month for Malaysians, but we'll get to that once I've described the photo I've chosen for our theme day.

Malaysians love to eat. And everyone has their favourite for breakfast. One of mine is Roti Canai. It's a kind of pancake. In this photo, you see the guy 'whipping' the pancake. Once it's stretched out, he lays in on the surface and folds it which he then places on a flat and big flat pan to cook. Roti Canai is served with dhaal or curry. When I was a kid, I had it with a healthy sprinkling of sugar.

Woke up late today so only coffee for breakfast.

As I mentioned, August is a month of great celebration for us Malaysians. This is when Independence Day celebrations kick into high-gear. There'll be a fireworks competition between 4 countries, a slew of exhibitions, a few parades, all leading towards D-Day at the end of August. Hari Merdeka, that's what we call it.

Maybe I'll be able to photograph something that I'll be able to post for next month's theme. Until then, do enjoy your breakfast and perhaps pick something from our international buffet. You have a choice of 100 different cities.

Saint Paul (MN), USA - Bellefonte (PA), USA - Menton, France - Monte Carlo, Monaco - New York City (NY), USA - Tel Aviv, Israel - Hyde, UK - Port Angeles (WA), USA - Mainz, Germany - Stockholm, Sweden - Paderborn, Germany - Singapore, Singapore - Haninge, Sweden - Nottingham, UK - Ampang (Selangor), Malaysia - Manila, Philippines - Boston (MA), USA - Seoul, Korea - Singapore, Singapore - Joplin (MO), USA - Chandler (AZ), USA - Paris, France - Sequim (WA), USA - Greenville (SC), USA - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Boston (MA), USA - Chennai, India - Madison (WI), USA - Baton Rouge (LA), USA - Toulouse, France - Seattle (WA), USA - Mexico (DF), Mexico - La Antigua, Guatemala - Selma (AL), USA - Wassenaar (ZH), Netherlands - Albuquerque (NM), USA - Cleveland (OH), USA - San Diego (CA), USA - Lubbock (TX), USA - Jakarta, Indonesia - Sheki, Azerbaijan - Sydney, Australia - Mumbai, India - Seoul, South Korea - Cottage Grove (MN), USA - Cypress (TX), USA - Saarbrücken, Germany - Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina - New Orleans (LA), USA - Budapest, Hungary - Kyoto, Japan - Tokyo, Japan - Austin (TX), USA - Singapore, Singapore - Villigen, Switzerland - Montréal (QC), Canada - Stayton (OR), USA - Melbourne, Australia - Silver Spring (MD), USA - Moscow, Russia - Springfield (MO), USA - Inverness (IL), usa - Arlington (VA), USA - Cologne (NRW), Germany - Anderson (SC), USA - Oslo, Norway - Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation - Manila, Philippines - Kajang (Selangor), Malaysia - Maple Ridge (BC), Canada - Bandung (West Java), Indonesia - Stavanger, Norway - Bastia, France - Hong Kong, China - Wailea (HI), USA - St. Louis (MO), USA - Chicago (IL), USA - Rabaul, Papua New Guinea - Sydney, Australia - Bucaramanga (Santander), Colombia - Kansas City (MO), USA - Grenoble, France - Paris, France - Evry, France - Saigon, Vietnam - Prague, Czech Republic - Cape Town, South Africa - Brookville (OH), USA - Brussels, Belgium - San Diego (CA), USA - Wellington, New Zealand - Newcastle (NSW), Australia - Saint Louis (MO), USA - Sharon (CT), USA - Shanghai, China - Zurich, Switzerland - North Bay (ON), Canada - Lyon, France - Naples (FL), USA - Olympia (WA), USA

29 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Come visit; I've missed you. Portal is acting up again and hasn't published my theme day post. PS That's a BIG pancake!!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Lavenderlady said...

Wow! I'd love to see that one when it is cooked!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Fabulous photo - well done!!

I love roti. I am really interested in the Asian breakfast differences with most of the European ones I am seeing. I couldn't even think about dhal or curry for breakfast!

But I must admit that if I've had too much to drink the night before cold pizza somehow hits the spot - and that's DISGUSTING!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Canai! We call it Prata in Singapore and Johor.

By the way, Canai was the name of the Bahasa Melayu textbook I used when I was in Form 1!

The first batch of students that was in the KBSM syllabus for languages.

1:26 PM  
Blogger travelphilippines said...

nice real kodak moment. nice to you have a new post.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Edwin, I love seeing his fingers through the dough! Great shot. Always good to "hear" your voice out there in the blogosphere. I used to love curry pastry from the Chinese bakery for morning break when I worked in San Francisco, so this sounds pretty good to me!
-Kim

1:55 PM  
Blogger Ben Nakagawa said...

Great skill to make such a thin pan cake in that way. Photo is fantastic, Edwin.

2:08 PM  
Blogger R&R said...

Looks like this guy is really a pro! Do you eat the dhaal or curry for breakfast, or just the roti canai?

2:11 PM  
Blogger Jilly said...

Love this photograph. The guy is taking such care with what he's making - obviously proud of it. And the finished product sounds great.

2:49 PM  
Blogger CK said...

hi Edwin,
I joined this group but was clueless about it. My fault too for ignoring it quite some time. Anyway, would like to ask how you know the theme for DP? Is it a monthly thingy? I tried to revive back my Kota Kinabalu Daily Photo Page beside maintaining my other blog.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting post for theme day. I like your photo.

Brookville Daily Photo-Theme Day

5:36 PM  
Blogger Beetle said...

I dido Abraham and imagine also what will it looks like after flying ?

6:21 PM  
Blogger Emilieee said...

Brilliant shot!! You've captured his movement very well!! This picture is my favorite so far!! :)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Olivier said...

belle photo et une bonne idee pour le theme du mois


beautiful photograph and a good idea for the topic of the month

9:37 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

A great photo! The pancake sounds like a really different kind of thing to eat.

2:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an interesting breakfast!

Port Angeles Daily Photo

2:10 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Great photo! I thought it was a pillow or a sack of flour or rice at first...until I saw the fingers. Enjoy your August!

2:14 AM  
Blogger Kerry-Anne said...

Oooh, roti, yum - my brother used to make us roti when I was younger. I'm sure it wasn't that authentic, but it was very tasty nonetheless. I'll have to try some of the real thing next time I'm in Asia and see how it compares. :)

3:53 AM  
Blogger Tomate Farcie said...

Good job on the picture and very original!

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Edwin, lovely to get a sign from you through the theme day. Glad you didn't post a morning smoko, it would have ruined my day.
I like this guy much better, I love the look of concentration on his face !

9:34 AM  
Blogger AntiguaDailyPhoto.Com said...

Do you do deliveries for the Roti Canai?

Actually my breakfast for today was exactly like yours: a cup of coffee. Mine was from the best coffee in the world and its surroundings. ;-)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Z said...

It sounds good and I would like some, but perhaps more for lunch rather than first thing in the morning.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Rarebeet said...

Great shot edwin! Love all the colours coming together. I also like the fingers coming through the roti.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Rarebeet said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Dijah said...

Long time since I've eaten roti canai.

8:49 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Hi Edwin, I am glad to be here! I found you through Ming's blog.
Amazing photo, I thought it was a pizza.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Jazzy said...

sounds very delicious!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

I like seeing things like this. The scenery shots are wonderful, but this is something most people wouldn't bother with.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Carolyne said...

hey Edwin,

I don't know who you are but I was browsing the web for pictures of Kl for some friends who want to visit and came up with your pictures. I just want to say how wonderful they are. You are a very talented pohtographer. Do you do this for a living?

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home