August 9, 2007

let's go fly a kite


Wau is a uniquely designed Malaysian kite. It is called 'Wau' because the shape of its wing is similar to an Arabic letter (pronounced "wow"). It is a marvelous tradition inherent to the culture of the people, especially in the Eastern States of the Malayan Peninsula. Today, the kite is still widely found in Kelantan and Terengganu, especially during harvest time.

This Wau that you see is for decorative purposes. One for tourists to buy and proudly display at home.

Am I back? Is KLDP returning? Perhaps. Not daily but I do have a couple of shots that MUST and NEED to be shared.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Both the shape and colour are beautiful and it's a terrific photo to share. Thanks!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's beautiful Edwin!

I miss you and the whole Daily Photo family ! ;x

11:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's the logo for Malaysia Airlines too!


I am sure you have more to share, not only a couple :-)

12:47 AM  
Blogger travelphilippines said...

wow what a beautiful kite. can you fly it over here in the Philippines? hehe

2:29 AM  
Blogger Dijah said...

I prefer the original ones better but this one is as good as the original ones.

BTW,Merdeka day is 2 more weeks away.Might I remindyou to post lots of pictures of the celebration because I won't be in town.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

The Malaysian Airlines (MAS) logo is that of a wau too, I think.

I didn't get to see any of them during my trip. They look amazing.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Ann (MobayDP) said...

Kite flying is such fun and this one is so lovely.

It is a pretty big past time in the smaller islands of the Caribbean - usually in May. There are contests for the best kites too. Much fun! :-D

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home