August 2, 2006

empty chairs at empty tables


I had wanted to post something bright and cheerful today, but certain circumstances have led me to this image. Those of you familiar with the musical Les Miserablé will recognise the title I used for this post. It is the song Marius sings when he thinks of his friends and family who became victims and have since become a sad memory.

I think I commented on nearly every DP blog yesterday out of sheer restlessness and because I needed to get away from tagging my photos. There were some fabulous pictures yesterday. The last 2 DPs I hit were Beirut, which I hadn't visited for weeks, and Montchauvet. Please visit them if you haven't.

As much as the work I do is political and satirical which aims to create some level of awareness, I can't help but feel how trivial it all is. Helpless, sitting here typing these words, practically doing nothing but complaining to a friendly ear about the folly of humanity, joining the odd protest now and then... helpless and I'm feeling useless. The daily news coverage is bloody frustrating and depressing. It's days like this I look to my mother for support and I remember my late father.

Sorry for being this melancholic. I've convinced myself that current events have something to do with Mars being the closest it'll ever be to Earth. If so, then the next decade will bring some peace of mind as Mars retracts and loosens it's grip. I hope (as usual). You know what? I'll still be alive then.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Great post, Ed!
It's hard to be cheerful these days. No news is good news!!! Everytime I turn on the tv, looking at the fire, casualties, the helplessness of the people under fire,killings etc,etc,etc. I ask : is there a light at the end of the tunnel? It's much more logical to believe the events that's happening IS due to mars being closest to earth ..

-over and out -

2:17 PM  
Blogger Oleanderman said...

A beautiful and moody shot mixing darkness and light. A touch like the world at the moment.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Edwin, The Middle East is a tinderbox, and I doubt that there will be lasting peace. I am so tempted to voice my political opinion, but I am aware that this is not the venue for it. We can only hope that humanity changes its ways, and, instead of taking lives, people will cherish differences and preserve and nurture lives.

5:35 PM  
Blogger selana18 said...

I like a lot the way you thinking and writing ...yes you are melancholic sometimes but dont ask for sorry .
Nice shadows , the details are perfect !

5:38 PM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Sharp intake of breath. "It's all too much for me to take. The world is turning all around me" (George Harrison?).
Ed, if you start apologising for you nature, you being, then what the hell am I gonna start doing? Do NOT!
What would you prefer: know only life in themiddle,without any of the highs or the lows. You ARE alive now man! Very much so. You prove it every day. You have no choice. There IS no alternative (Tina, for short!)- you are you. And we can all thank the universe for that!
The pic, well, the foreground shadow is so darned strong & evocative that just thatimage alone would be immnese. And whatever happened to the Age of Aquarius? Have we done that already? [Get my mail?]

8:58 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Beautiful photograph! And I share your sadness about the world right now - I feel paralyzed!

11:35 PM  
Blogger edwin s said...

Okay, I'm not sorry for being melancholic. i just didn't want anyone to get the blues from the even bluer anture of the world right now.

Thank you for appreciating the picture. It does speak volumes. I took it a couple fo weeks ago but I only saw what it spoke this morning when I was searching the photo of the day.

You know Kate, we all hope the same thing. But please feel free to express your thoughts whether this be a platform for it or not.

We are a like-minded community I notice. Strangers in different parts of the world but people with the same concerns, asking the same questions.

Stewart, I prefer the name Sheila. Tina doesn't do it for me? I AM Alive today. And like I said, I will be alive then. I make no qualms about who I am. I'm as transparent as glass. After all, I'm in theatre. My job is to be open to anything and everything.

Living in the moment is an occupational hazard but one that I experience to the fullest.

I'm so full of myself. Love it!

11:36 PM  
Blogger edwin s said...

Oh, hello jenny! hope you're having a good day. ;)

11:37 PM  
Blogger Juggerpix said...

Wow, a powerful post. The picture is a perfect companion to the song (if you haven't heard this song, find it). Your thoughts are echoed here.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Rafleesia said...

Pray tell..when exactly will Mars loosen its grip? You say next decade...ie. 2010?! Not any time sooner?

9:15 AM  
Blogger edwin s said...

Jugs, thank you. The songs kept playing the more I looked at the picture. That led me to posting it.

Candice, why do I feel your question is of a self-absorbed nature??? Call me later.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Hi edwin - I posted my Hiroshima Day post before catching up with you, but I just wanted to say I know how you feel, as trite as that sounds...

Sally

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home