April 21, 2008

historic fire


As promised, the Olympic Torch in Kuala Lumpur, for the 2nd time in the history of the modern Olympics.

I came out of rehearsal, made my way to Dataran Merdeka (Independence Square) and waited for the launch of the event. There were hundreds of people, none of them protesters. I found my spot and was sure I'd get a damned great shot. But suddenly, when the torch relay began, the crowd of people rushed in and all I could see was a sea of heads. People crowded the relay path and the torch bearers were slowed to a crawl.

Today I witnessed an historic event in my lifetime. I teared a little, believing in everything the Games stood for: Brotherhood, Peace and Hope. I only wish everyone saw it too. Free Tibet.

Tomorrow, and a couple days following, I'll post shots of the interesting things I witnessed on this great day.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sakiwi said...

Beautiful shot! You are so fortunate to have witnessed this historic event!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Jim Klenke said...

great picture.

7:39 PM  
Blogger J.C. said...

Hi Edwin, I am waiting for the News to watch the torch relay! But your pix beat them to it!!! I see it first from your blog!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Great pic! In 2000 it ran down the road at the end of my mum's street. I have to admit I didn;t really care, so didn't bother (but I wasn;t blogging then either!) So good for you!

They reported on the news here that a few groups of pro-Tibet demonstrators were dispersed prior to it all happening in KL.

9:17 PM  
Blogger marley said...

The photo may have a sea of heads but it shows the torch held aloft, just as it should be! Well done for getting to see such a fantastic event. Looking forward to more :)

11:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ah.. you capture it so beautifully!

saw it on the news last nite, and wanted to visit your site because i know you will post it up, but was too tired yesterday.

first thing in the morning, i am here! ;-)

8:01 AM  
Blogger Rafleesia said...

ths is a good photo edwin

12:54 PM  
Blogger George Townboy said...

This is a great photo!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home